Charles Robert RICHARDSON

Charles Robert RICHARDSON

Per his military service record (regimental no. 4884), Charles Robert Richardson was born at Castle Hill, N.S.W.  He gave his age as 24 years and 8 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as labourer. His description on his medical was 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall, weight 132 lbs., with a fair complexion, blue eyes, and brown hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. He claimed that he had no previous military service. He completed his medical examination, and was attested by Lieutenant R. Howe, at Parramatta, on the 11th November 1915.

After a successful recruiting meeting the evening before, the Coo-ees left Parramatta on the morning of 11th November 1915, with an official count of 27 new recruits from that town.

After the Coo-ee March Charles Robert Richardson went into Liverpool Camp as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.

On Private Richardson’s embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was C/o  Mrs Clark, Harris Street, Harris Park, N.S.W., and his next of kin is listed as his mother, Mrs M.A. Richardson, C/o Mrs McKay, Sydney Road, Granville, N.S.W.

On 8th March 1916 Private Richardson departed Sydney on the HMAT A15 Star of England, along with many of the other Coo-ees, as part of the 15th reinforcements for the 13th Battalion. He arrived in Egypt on 11th April 1916.

On 16th April 1916 he was transferred to the 5th Division Cyclist’s Company (along with fellow Coo-ee Private Megarrity).

On 17thJune 1916 Private Richardson left Alexandria aboard the Transport Manitou bound for France, arriving at Marseilles on 25th June 1916.

On 23rd July 1916 Private Richardson was detached for duty with the A.P.M. of the New Zealand Division.

On 8th November 1916 Private Richardson was admitted to the 103rd Field Ambulance suffering Influenza.  On 11th November  1916 he was transferred to a Rest Station.  He rejoined the unit on 16th November 1916.

On 21st November 1916 Private Richardson took part in a trench raid during which he was wounded in action, receiving gunshot wounds to his left leg and arms.  He was evacuated to 103rd Field Ambulance, then to the 8th Casualty Clearing Station .

On 23rd November 1916 he was placed aboard the 18th Ambulance Train for evacuation to the 13th General Hospital at Boulogne, France.

On 26th November 1916 he was embarked at Boulogne on the Hospital Ship Jan Breydel for transport to England.  He was admitted to the Chatham Military Hospital that same day, with multiple gunshot wounds, knees and arms.

On 20th March 1917 Private Richardson was transferred to the 2nd Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Southall, England.

On 22nd March 1917 he was discharged from hospital and granted leave, to report to the Number 2 Command Depot at Weymouth, England, on 6th April 1917.

On 23rd May 1917 Private Richardson departed England at Devonport, aboard the H.M.A.T. Ayrshire, to return to Australia.

He arrived in Sydney on 20th July 1917, and was discharged Medically Unfit on 20th October 1917.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s