Tag Archives: Wentworth Falls

Joseph John WILLIAMS

Joseph John WILLIAMS

Per his military service record (regimental no. 4912), Joseph John Williams was born at Woollahra, N.S.W.[1]  He gave his age as 36 years and 11 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as farrier.  His description on Certificate of Medical Examination was height 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall, weight 144 lbs., with a dark complexion, brown eyes, and grey hair.  His religious denomination was Roman Catholic.  He claimed that he had no previous military experience.  He completed his medical examination at Ashfield on 11th November 1915 (the day the Coo-ees marched from Parramatta to Ashfield), and was attested by Lieutenant F. Middenway at Ashfield on 11th November 1915.

It is not known exactly where Joseph John Williams joined (or first presented to join) the Coo-ee March, but it may possibly have been before the 11th November 1915.  The Oath on his Attestation Paper was dated ‘from 6th November 1915’.  The “Date of Joining” recorded for Private Williams on his embarkation roll was 7th November 1915.

After completing the Coo-ee March he went to Liverpool Camp as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.

On 18th February 1916 Private Williams was charged with being absent without leave from the Liverpool Camp for 3 days.  He was fined 25 Shillings.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was C/o T. Stephenson, 1 Ruffe [sic] Street, Leichhardt, Sydney, N.S.W., and his next of kin is listed as his mother, Mrs. E. M. [Esther Mary] Williams, at the same address.  The initial address recorded for his mother on his Attestation Paper was ‘Railway Parade Wentworth Falls N.S.W.’.

On 8th March 1916 Private Williams departed Sydney on the HMAT A15 Star of England, along with many of the other Coo-ees, and arrived in Egypt on 11th April 1916.

It is not recorded in his service record when Private Williams left Egypt, but after some training in Egypt, he was sent to the 4th Training Battalion at Rollestone, England.

Private Williams departed England bound for France on 30th July 1916.  He marched into the 4th Australian Division Base Depot at Etaples, France, on 1st August 1916.

He was taken on strength of the 13th Battalion on 26th August 1916 when it was at Albert, France, preparing to re-enter the fighting around Pozieres.

On the 1st of January 1917 Private Williams was sent to the 8th Australian Field Ambulance suffering from a sore ankle. On 4th January 1917 he was moved to the 1st General Hospital at Etretat, France. On 26th January 1917 he was transferred to the 2nd Stationary Hospital at Amiens, France, with ICT right ankle.  He was discharged and returned to the 13th Battalion on 8th February 1917.

On 2nd March 1917 Private Williams was sent to the 8th Australian Field Ambulance suffering from Scabies.  He was moved back to the 5th Rest station later that day with Influenza. On 7th March 1917 he was transferred to a Casualty Clearing Station with Trench Feet.  He was later moved to the 5th General Hospital at Rouen with Trench Fever.

On 12th March 1917 Private Williams was placed aboard the Hospital Ship Grantully Castle at Le Harve for evacuation to England.  He was admitted to the 2nd Southern General Hospital at Bristol, England, on the 13th of March 1917, with Trench Fever.

On 16th April 1917 Private Williams was transferred to the 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Dartford, England.  He was granted leave to report to the Number 3 Command Depot at Hurdcott, England, on 1st May 1917.

On 12th of May 1917 Private Williams was charged with being absent without leave in London from 3.30 p.m. on 1st May 1917 till 9.15 p.m. on 8th May 1917.  He was awarded 8 days Field Punishment Number 2 and fined 19 days pay.

On 4th August 1917 Private Williams was transferred to the Number 2 Command Depot at Weymouth, England.

On 27th September 1917 Private Williams departed England aboard the H.T. Suevic bound for Australia, with Debility.  He arrived in Australia on 20th November 1917, and was discharged medically unfit on 25th December 1917.


Day 28, Saturday, 6 November, 1915, Katoomba to Lawson

Transcription of an extract from an article titled ‘The Route March : Through the Mountains’ in The Farmer and Settler, 9 November, 1915, p. 3 [2 of 3]
… [Continued]

Katoomba’s send-off on Saturday morning will not readily be forgotten by the men of the column. Mr A. J. Craig gave the Katoomba recruits a flag, the presentation being made by Ald. J. F. Tabrett. Then amid great cheering the column took the road for Leura, at which pretty town it was met by the president of the local recruiting association (Mr. J. H. Bloome) and the Leura Band. A halt of only fifteen minutes was made at Leura, but two recruits joined, and Captain-chaplain Fielding made a vigorous speech that cheered the men on.

Coo-ees marching between Leura and Wentworth Falls (The Sun 7/11/1915)

Coo-ees marching between Leura and Wentworth Falls (The Sun 7/11/1915)

Wentworth Falls.
Leura Band played the column into Wentworth Falls, where there was more enthusiastic welcoming, and yet more wholesale feeding. Mr. H. A. Hickman, at the School of Arts, voiced the citizens’ welcome. A contingent of wounded soldiers paraded here, and were warmly welcomed by the “Coo-ees.” One of them, Private O’Connor, said he was glad to see them hurrying along to the front. “Not only you boys are wanted,” he said, “but all the lads in the country should come along, I am now on the way to recovery, but I hope to have another go. I have had two already.”

Mrs Thorne with her son Thomas Thorne who joined at Lawson (Mirror of Australia 13/11/1915)

Mrs Thorne with her son Thomas Thorne who joined at Lawson (Mirror of Australia 13/11/1915)

With the Leura Band still giving the step, the “Coo-ees” stepped out briskly toward Lawson, where the week-end was to be spent. The president of the Blue Mountains Shire, Cr. J. T. Wall, came out some distance to meet the column, and further along a line of decorated motor cars came into sight, and a corps of boy scouts, with a welcome banner. It was a long procession that found its way to Lawson Park, where Cr. Geggie, made the men welcome on behalf of the townspeople of Lawson and Hazelbrook. The men were entertained at dinner at the School of Arts, and at night a recruiting meeting was held, at which five recruits joined the force.’

[N.B. remainder of this article is not included in blog].

Click here to access the article on Trove: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article116669569