Richard EVANS

Richard EVANS

Per his military service record (regimental no. 5368), Richard Evans was born at Deniliquin, N.S.W.[1]  He gave his age as 26 years and 3 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as labourer.  His description on his Certificate of Medical Examination was height 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall, weight 154 lbs., with a fair complexion, blue eyes, and fair hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. He claimed that he had no previous military service.

He completed his medical examination, and was attested by Lieutenant F. Middenway, at Ashfield on 11th November 1915 (the day the Coo-ees marched from Parramatta to Ashfield).

After completing the Coo-ee March he went to Liverpool Camp as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was Robinson Street, Croydon, N.S.W., and his next of kin was listed as his mother, Mrs A. [Annie] Evans, at the same address.[2]

On 9th April 1916 Private Evans departed Sydney on the HMAT Nestor A71 with the 17th reinforcements for the 13th Battalion (along with several other Coo-ees), bound for Egypt.

Photograph of HMAT A71 Nestor loaded with troops on an earlier voyage, taken 11 October 1915. Part of the Australian War Memorial Collection. PB0607.

He arrived in Egypt on 15th May 1916. He was immediately admitted sick to the 31st General Hospital at Port Said, Egypt.

On 21st July 1916 he was transferred to the Lowland Field Ambulance, then was admitted to the Government School Hospital at Port Said. He was discharged on 25th July 1916.

On 6th August 1916 Private Evans left Alexandria aboard the Transport Megantic, bound for England.

On 19th August 1916 he was admitted sick to the Military Hospital at Fargo, England.

On 24th August 1916 Private Evans was admitted to the 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital at Bulford, England.

On 17th November 1916 he was transferred to the Military Hospital at Parkhouse, England.

He was discharged from Hospital on 28th February 1917, and marched into the No. 4 Command Depot at Wareham, England.

On 12th March 1917 Private Evans was charged with absenting himself from Parade on 9th March 1917 without permission. He was awarded 48 hours detention.

On 27th March 1917 he was charged with neglecting to obey Depot Orders on 26th March 1917. He was awarded 3 days Field Punishment No. 2.

On 3rd April 1917 he was charged with being absent without leave from 30th March 1917 till 2nd April 1917. He was awarded 7 days Field Punishment No. 2, and fined 11 days pay.

On 7th April 1917 Private Evans marched into the Drafting and Hardening Depot at Perham Downs, England.

On 15th April 1917 he marched into the 4th Training Battalion at Codford, England, under escort.

On 8th May 1917 Private Evans was charged with breaking isolation, drunkenness and being absent without leave from 8 a.m. 7th May 1917 till 10 p.m. 7th May 1917. He was awarded 10 days Field Punishment No. 2, and fined 11 days pay.

On 9th May 1917 Private Evans departed Folkestone, England, bound for France. He marched into the 4th Australian Division Base Depot at Etaples, France, on 10th May 1917.

Private Evans joined the 13th Battalion on 13th May 1917, when it was training at Ribemont, France.[3]

Four days later, on 17th May 1917 Private Evans was evacuated to the 53rd Casualty Clearing Station with a condition not yet diagnosed. On 21st May 1917 he was transferred to the 2nd Australian General Hospital at Wimereux, France, with Bronchitis and Influenza.

On 24th May 1917 Private Evans was placed aboard Hospital Ship Jan Breydel at Boulogne for evacuation to England. He was admitted to the Duston War Hospital at Northampton, England. On 29th August 1917 he was transferred to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield, England, with Influenza.

He was discharged on 3rd September 1917 and marched into the No. 2 Command Depot at Weymouth, England.

Private Evans commenced his return to Australia on 31st October 1917 aboard the H.M.A.T. Berrima, arriving in Australia on 30th December 1918.

He was discharged medically unfit on 21st February 1918, with defective vision.

He re-enlisted in the A.I.F. at Liverpool on 12th April 1918, and was assigned to Camp Supply Depot for home service.  Driver Evans was discharged at his own request on 4th May 1918.


[1] NAA: B2455, EVANS R

[2] Australian War Memorial. First World War Embarkation Roll, Richard Evans,  5368.

[3] Australian Imperial Force unit war diaries, 1914-18 War – AWM4 Subclass 23/30 – 13th Infantry Battalion, May 1917.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s