Thomas SHAW

Thomas SHAW

Per his military service record (regimental no. 4896), Thomas Shaw was born at Draycott in the Clay, Staffordshire, England.[1] He gave his age as 36 years and 8 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as farmer labourer. His description on his certificate of medical examination was height 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall, weight 11 stone 2 lbs., with a fair complexion, blue eyes, and fair hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. He claimed that he had no previous military service.

He completed his medical examination on the 16th October 1915 at Wellington (the day the Coo-ees arrived at Wellington), and was attested by Captain Nicholas at Stuart Town on the 19th October 1915. His “Joined on” date on his Attestation Paper was 18th October 1915, the day the Coo-ees left Wellington, and marched to Dripstone.

After completing the Coo-ee March he went to Liverpool Camp as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was not recorded, and his next of kin was listed as his sister, Mrs P. White, Bruce Bridge, Heath, Lincoln, England.

On 8th March 1916 Private Shaw along with many of the other Coo-ees departed Sydney on the HMAT A15 Star of England, and arrived in Egypt on the 11th April 1916.

On the 16th April 1916 Private Shaw was transferred to the 4th Pioneer Battalion at Tel-el-Kebir.

On 4th June 1916 Private Shaw left Alexandria aboard the Transport Scotian, bound for France.  He arrived at Marseilles on 11th June 1916.

Just two months later, on 7th August 1916 the 4th Pioneer Battalion was constructing communication trenches in Becourt Wood, France, when Private Shaw was wounded in action, receiving gunshot wounds to his left leg and neck. He was evacuated to the 4th General Hospital at Camiers, France, the next day.

On 20th August 1916 he was moved to Calais, France, and transferred to England aboard the Hospital Ship Newhaven.  He was admitted to the Carrington Military Hospital at Nottingham, England on 21st August 1916.

On 2nd September 1916 Private Shaw was transferred to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield, England.

On the 23rd of October 1916 Private Shaw was moved to the 3rd Auxiliary Hospital at Dartford with Myalgia.

On 14th January 1917 Private Shaw departed Southampton, England, on the Hospital Ship Kanowna, bound for Australia.

He arrived in Sydney on 11th March 1917, and was discharged Medically Unfit on 29th August 1917.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s