Clement Patrick KANE

Clement Patrick KANE

Per his military service record (regimental no. 2208), Clement Patrick Kane was born at Cunamulla, Queensland. He gave his age as 21 years and 1 month, his marital status as single, and his occupation as labourer. His description on his certificate of medical examination was height 5 feet 7 ½ inches tall, weight 160 lbs., with a medium complexion, blue eyes, and brown hair. His religious denomination was Roman Catholic. He claimed that he had no previous military service.

C. P. Cane was one of the thirteen men who ‘stepped forward and gave their names, either to march under Captain Nicholas, or to come after harvest’ after the recruiting meeting held to raise recruits for the Coo-ee March at Wongarbon on Thursday evening 14th October 1915.[1]

His Application to Enlist in the Australian Imperial Force paper was addressed to the Recruiting Officer at Wellington, and dated 16th October 1915, when the Coo-ees were in Wellington. He gave his postal address as Coolah, N.S.W. He completed his medical examination at Wellington on 16th October 1915, and was attested at Dripstone by Captain Nicholas on the 19th October 1915.

After completing the march he went to Liverpool Camp and trained for the 15th reinforcements for the 1st Light Horse Regiment.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was P.O., Wellington, N.S.W. and his next of kin is listed as his sister, Mrs G. Guilford, at the same address.

On 21st March 1916 Trooper Kane departed Sydney on the HMAT A26 Armadale. After arriving in Egypt, he was taken on strength of the 1st Light Horse Training Regiment on 24th April 1916 at Tel-el-Kebir. On the 15th of May 1916 he was transferred to the Artillery details.

On 28th May 1916 Gunner Kane left Alexandria bound for England, on the HMT Corsican, arriving at Plymouth on 12th June 1916.

On 9th August 1916 Gunner Kane was appointed a Driver.

On 12th August he departed England, and on 13th August 1916 he was attached to the 4th Division Artillery details at Etaples, France.

On 17th August 1916 Driver Kane was transferred to the 5th Division Ammunition Column, and he was taken on strength of this unit in the field on 21st August 1916, when it was in the vicinity of Erquinghem, France.

On 30th December 1917 Driver Kane went on leave for two weeks to the United Kingdom. He rejoined his unit in France on 14th January 1918.

On 17th June 1918 he reverted to Gunner at his own request.

On 4th November 1918 He was transferred to the 14th Field Artillery Brigade.

On 16th November 1918 he was re-appointed Driver.

On 8th January 1919 Driver Kane went on leave to the United Kingdom until 22nd January 1919. He then rejoined his unit in France on 25th January 1919.

On 9th April 1919 he returned to England to await return to Australia

Driver Kane commenced his return to Australia on 22nd May 1919, departing from Liverpool aboard the H.T. Durham.

He was discharged at Sydney on 13th September 1919.

[1] ‘The route march’, The Farmer and Settler, 19 October 1915 , p. 3, ; ‘On the track’, Wellington Times (NSW : 1899 – 1954), 18 October 1915, p. 3,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s