Leo Ambrose STINSON

Leo Ambrose STINSON

Per his military service record (Depot), Leo Ambrose Stinson was born at Boomey, near the town of Wellington, N.S.W. He gave his age as 18 years and 11 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as storeman. His description on his medical was height 6 feet and ½ inch tall, weight 9 stone 7 lbs., with a dark complexion, brown eyes, and dark hair. His religious denomination was Roman Catholic. He claimed that he had no previous military service. He completed his medical on the 22nd October 1915 at Gilgandra (12 days after the Coo-ees left), then caught up with the Coo-ees, and was attested at Blayney by Captain Eade on the 26th October 1915 (when the Coo-ees were at Blayney).

Leo Stinson was the recruit who joined the Coo-ees at Blayney from Gilgandra by train that was reported in the The Farmer and Settler, 29 October, 1915, p. 3.[1]

After completing the march he went to Liverpool Camp into D Coy 5th Battalion.

Following a further medical examination before the Medical Board on 17th November 1915 after arriving at Liverpool Camp with the Coo-ees, Private Stinson was discharged on the 29th of November 1915 as medically unfit, with deficient chest measurement.

On 18th March 1916 Leo Stinson re-enlisted at Dubbo, where he passed his medical and was attested. After some training he embarked from Sydney on 9th September 1916 as 15th reinforcement for the 20th Battalion on the HMAT A14 Euripides. He was given regimental no. 5644.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was Miller Street, Gilgandra, N.S.W., and his next of kin is listed his father, John Nicholas Stinson, Rydal, N.S.W.

He arrived at Plymouth in England on 26th October 1916.

Private Stinson trained in England until 13th December 1916, when he was sent to Etaples in France. He joined the Battalion in France on 26th January 1917.

On the 15/16th of April 1917 a German attack broke through the front line near Lagnicourt in France and the guns of the 2nd Australian Field Artillery Brigade were captured. The 20th Battalion was involved in the counterattack that recaptured the guns and forced the Germans back to their lines. Over 200 Germans were captured by the Battalion in this operation. Six members of the Battalion were killed, and were 16 wounded, including Private Stinson, who received a gunshot wound to his back and another to his right arm. Private Stinson was evacuated to the 9th Casualty Clearing Station, then admitted to the 10th General Hospital in Rouen on 17th April 1917. He was then sent to England on 29th April 1917, and was admitted to the 5th Southern General Hospital on 30th April 1917.

On 7th July 1917 Private Simpson was discharged from the 5th Southern General Hospital to No. 1 Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield.

On 26th September 1917 Private Stinson left England on the HMAT Borda bound for Australia. He arrived in Melbourne on 25th November 1917, and was discharged as medically unfit on 4th January 1918.

On 22nd July 1919 Private Stinson re-enlisted in the Special Service AIF (regimental no. 86082), and on 12th August 1919 he departed Sydney bound for Europe as an escort for deportees being sent to Europe. He arrived at London on 12th October 1919. On 5th December 1919 Private Stinson commenced his return to Australia, arriving on 23rd January 1920. He was discharged on 7th February 1920.

Leo Stinson also enlisted in the AIF in the Second World War.

[1] ‘Great Route March. Gilgandra to the Coast’, ’, The Farmer and Settler, 29 October 1915, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/n la.news-article116671286



One response to “Leo Ambrose STINSON

  1. Appreciaate your blog post

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s