Lightfoot Lamonby HAMPSON

Lightfoot Lamonby HAMPSON

Per his military service record (regimental no. 4790), Lightfoot Lamonby Hampson was born at Wigton, Cumberland, England. He gave his age as 37 years, his marital status as married, and his occupation as painter.  He had worked at the ironworks in Lithgow prior to enlisting. His description on his medical was height 5 feet 5 inches tall, with a medium dark, grey eyes, and brown hair. His religious denomination was Baptist. He claimed that he had 3 years experience in the Militia. He completed his medical on the 6th November at Lawson (on the day the Coo-ees arrived at Lawson), but was not attested until the 13th November 1915 at Liverpool (after the end of the march). His date of joining on the nominal roll was the 9th November 1915 (the day the Coo-ees arrived at Penrith).

After the end of the Coo-ee March he went to Liverpool Camp with his son Charles Alfred Hampson (who had joined the Coo-ees at Lithgow) as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.

On his embarkation roll Lightfoot Hampson’s address at time of enrolment was Redgalein, Hussans [sic]Walls Road, Lithgow, N.S.W. (the same as his son Charles’s address), and his next of kin is listed as sister-in-law, guardian of his children, Mrs. L. Hampson, Wanderee, Ferry Street, Drummoyne, N.S.W. (Lightfoot Hampson had four children – the eldest Charles Alfred Hampson who he had decided to enlist with on the Coo-ee March, and three younger sons, and one daughter).

On 8th March 1916 Private Hampson departed Sydney on the HMAT A15 Star of England, accompanied by his son Charles, and many of the other Coo-ees. He arrived in Egypt on 11th April 1916.

On 16th April 1916 Gunner Hampson was transferred to the 4th Division Artillery at Tel-el-Kebir (along with his son Charles).

On 21st April 1916 he was taken on the strength of the 10th Field Artillery Brigade and posted to the 10th Brigade Ammunition Column at Serapeum (along with his son Charles). On the 27th May they were both taken on strength of the 4th Division Ammunition Column.

On 6th June 1916 Gunner Hampson left Alexandria aboard the HMT Oriana (along with his son Charles) bound for France, arriving at Marseilles on 13th June 1916.

On 29th June 1916 Gunner Hampson’s designation was changed to Driver. (His son Charles was also mustered as Driver on the same day).

On 23rd August 1916 the 4th Division Ammunition Column was at Acquin, France when Driver Hampson was evacuated with Influenza. On 30th August 1916 he was admitted to the 4th Stationary Hospital at St Omer, France. He was returned to his unit on the 10th September 1916.

On 18th September 1916 he attended the Trench Mortar School at Berthen (along with his son Charles). On 30th September 1916 they both rejoined the 4th Division Ammunition Column when it was at Vlamertinghe near Ypres, Belgium.

On 5th November 1916 Driver Hampson reverted back to Gunner at his own request. (His son Charles also reverted to Gunner at his own request on the same day).

On 22nd December 1916 he and his son Charles were both transferred to the 10th Field Artillery Brigade which was in the Somme Sector near Flers, France, and were posted to the 110th Howitzer Battery.

According to the 10th Australian Field Artillery Brigade unit war diary, on 28th April 1917 the 110th Howitzer Battery was carrying out a gas shell bombardment on the village of Riencourt-les-Cagnicourt during the 1st Battle of Bullecourt. His son Gunner Charles Hampson was killed in action on this day. The loss of the son who he had enlisted with, embarked overseas with, trained in Egypt with, and fought alongside in France with, must have been devastating for Lightfoot Hampson.

On 6th May 1917 the 10th Field Artillery Brigade was in action during the Battle of Bullecourt when Gunner Hampson was wounded in action by German counter battery fire. He received wounds to his back and face. Gunner Hampson was evacuated to the 23rd Field Ambulance. On 7th May 1917 he was moved to the 45th Casualty Clearing Station. On 8th May he was placed aboard the 4th Ambulance Train and conveyed to the 6th General Hospital at Rouen, France. On 13th May 1917 he was transferred to a Convalescent Depot. On 12th June 1917 Gunner Hampson was discharged and sent to the Base Depot at Le Harve, France.

On 29th June 1917 Gunner Hampson rejoined the 10th Field Artillery Brigade.

On 8th December 1917 Gunner Hampson was detached to attend a course at the 2nd Army School. He rejoined the Brigade on 7th January 1918 when it was in the vicinity of Hollebeke, Belgium.

On 1st September 1918 Gunner Hampson was granted leave in England. He returned to the 10th Field Artillery Brigade on 20th September 1918 when it was in action in the vicinity of Villeret, France.

On 4th March 1919 Gunner Hampson left his unit bound for the Base Depot at Le Havre to commence his return to Australia. On 13th March 1919 he departed Le Havre bound for England. He arrived at Weymouth, England, on 14th March 1919, marching into the Number 4 Command Depot.

On 1st May 1919 Gunner Hampson departed England aboard the China to return to Australia. He arrived in Australia on 11th June 1919, and was discharged on 26th July 1919.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s