Charles Edmond MARCHANT
Per his military service record (regimental no. 4848), Charles Edmond Marchant was born at Mundooran, N.S.W. He gave his age as 21 years and 9 months, his marital status as single, and his occupation as farmer. His description on his medical was height 5 feet 8 inches tall, weight 11 stone 4 lbs., with a dark complexion, grey or brown eyes, and dark hair. His religious denomination was Anglican. He claimed that he had no previous military service. He completed his medical on the 9th October 1915 at Gilgandra, and was attested at Gilgandra by Captain Nicholas on the 9th October 1915.
After completing the Coo-ee March he went to Liverpool Camp as reinforcement for the 13th Battalion.
On his embarkation roll his name is listed as Charles Edward Marchant. His address as time of enrolment was Warrenderi, Tooraweemah [Tooraweenah] Road, Gilgandra N.S.W., and his next of kin is listed as his father, E. Marchant, Warrenderi, Tooraweemah Road, Gilgandra, N.S.W.
On 8th March 1916 Private Marchant departed Sydney with many of the other Coo-ees on the HMAT Star of England, arriving in Egypt on the 11th April 1916.
On the 19th April 1916 he was taken on strength of the 45th Battalion.
Private Marchant received an accidental gun shot wound to the left elbow at Serapeum in Egypt on the 14th May 1916. According to an article in the Dubbo Liberal (29/8/1916, p. 2), ‘While in Egypt he has the misfortune to meet with an accident two days before he was to have left for France. He was in the act of taking his rifle from the parapet, when it caught in a sand-bag and accidentally exploded, the bullet striking him on the left arm, splintering the bone’.
He was hospitalized at No. 1 Australian Stationary Hospital at Ismailia on 15th May 1916, then sent to No. 3 Australian General Hospital at Abbassia on the 19th May 1916. He was then transferred to the Hospital Ship Karoola on the 5th July 1916 with a compound fracture of left humerus involving elbow joint, and returned to Australia.
He was medically discharged on the 13th September 1916.