John Herbert WATTS

John Herbert WATTS

Per his military service record (regimental no. 2260), John Herbert Watts was born at Dunedoo, N.S.W. He gave his age as 18 years, his marital status as single, and his occupation as Casual linesman. His description on his medical was height 5 feet 7 ½ inches tall, weight 137lbs., with a medium complexion, brown eyes, and light brown hair. His religious denomination was Methodist. He joined the Coo-ee March at Dubbo. He completed his medical on the 4th October 1915 at Dubbo, and was attested on the 14th October 1915 at Dubbo. He claimed to have no previous military service.

After completing the march he went to Liverpool Camp. He was appointed as 15th reinforcement for the 1st Light Horse Regiment at Liverpool on 7th February 1916.

On his embarkation roll his address at time of enrolment was Lewis Street, Mudgee, N.S.W., and his next of kin is listed as his father, Nathaniel Watts, Lewis Street, Mudgee, N.S.W.

Trooper Watts departed Sydney on the HMAT A25 Armadale on the 21st March 1916. He arrived in Egypt on the 24th April 1916.

On the 1st May 1916 he was transferred to the 4th Pioneer Battalion at Serapeum.

On the 4th June 1916 he embarked on the transport Scotian at Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. He disembarked in Marseilles on 11th June 1916.

Private Watts was appointed Driver on 2nd December 1916.

Per his service record, Driver Watts name was mentioned in Sir D. Haig’s despatch on the 7th April 1918, as deserving of special mention for conspicuous services rendered, which was promulgated in the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette, No. 165, 24th October 1918. The recommendation was ‘for continuous good service from 23rd September, 1917 to 25th February, 1918’.

Following being admitted to hospital sick with pyrexia on the 4th April 1918, Driver Watts was evacuated to England with Trench Fever on 16th April 1918, where he was admitted to Duston War Hospital in Northampton. On 30th April 1918 he was transferred to 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield. He was granted leave from 2nd May 1918 to 16th May 1918. Driver Watts returned from furlough on 17th May 1918 and marched into No. 4 Command Depot, Hurdcott. From the 8th to the 13th August he was admitted to the Camp Isolation Hospital at Hurdcott with Scabies.

Driver Watts returned to France on 22nd September 1918. He was admitted to hospital on 21st November 1918, and transferred to England on 9th January 1919, and admitted to the 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital at Bulford on 10th January 1919.

Driver Watts departed England on 31st March 1919 on the HT Khyber to return to Australia, and disembarked in Sydney on 14th May 1919.

He was discharged on 16th May 1919.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s